Friday, July 5, 2013

Warm vertical condensation



The warm vertical condensation technique is my obturation technique of choice now because it is a more superior technique than the more commonly used lateral condensation technique. The warm gutta percha fills the root canal system three dimensionally, including the lateral and accessory canals. The inter-canal communications and lateral fins and slits are inaccessible to root canal instrumentation. After chemical debridement, warm gutta percha techniques predictably seal these areas and entomb residual bacteria. However the warm technique is more technique sensitive and the lateral condensation has got better apical control.

I used the lateral condensation technique for years because I was taught to do that during my undergraduate training. Subsequently I learned to master the warm vertical technique at Penn. We are still teaching our dental undergraduate students the lateral condensation and the single cone techniques, simply because the two techniques are easier to carry out but I think the warm vertical condensation is by far the best obturation technique.  

No comments:

Post a Comment